Thursday, February 6, 2014

Diary Entry #5: Plastic Guitars and Spongebob Games

                Quick post before bed. Today, I didn't play enough games. I started Evil Dead: Hail to the King, but it's the hardest game I've played in a long time. This is due more to the fact that the game's poorly designed than anything else. Imagine if Resident Evil had tons of constantly respawning enemies that took a million hits to kill and you've got Hail to the King. Every time I feel like I'm finally getting a handle on the game, it just kicks my ass again.

                I tried playing Spongebob Squarepants: SuperSponge for the PS1. The slick graphics kept me playing, but the game itself consists mostly of walking in a direction until you finish a level. I got to chapter 2 when I said no more monotony. Spongebob Squarepants: Legend of the Lost Spatula for Game Boy Color looks like a much better game, and I might actually have a copy of it somewhere.

                Later, my girlfriend and I broke out Guitar Hero Encore: Rock the 80s. Sometimes it's fun to just relive the excitement of 2007-9. I always think it's funny that people say the plastic guitar genre died because Guitar Hero over-saturated the market with all sorts of crap. In reality, I think it has a lot more to do with the novelty wearing thin. I'm sure all of the dumb cash-ins made everybody enough money, but how long can you keep people excited about guitar controllers? And what do you do after your competitors have made microphones and full drum sets to match? Nuddin', that's what.

                I didn't realize there were so many Spongebob games! I bet all of the Game Boy Advance ones are awesome (awesome in the sense that they're not a crappy 3D collect-the-stuff game) side-scrollers, and Spongebob Squarepants: Employee of the Month is a point-and-click game. I hope it rivals other great cartoon point-and-click games like Duckman and Beavis and Butthead: Virtual Stupidity.

No comments:

Post a Comment